On the occasion of Gandhi Jayanti, many of us came to office dressed in khadi/white cottons & had a small celebration in the evening. This included various teams preparing quotes & presenting them in front of others. Some of us even spun the wheel and recited prayers.
Khadhi made gifts were distributed to everyone and an award was given to the best dressed boy/girl. All this was followed by “nasta pani”
Our team presented this prayer
Gandhiji loved the following Gujarati prayer (poem) which nicely declares 11 most important morals generally preached in all religious scriptures. This is called true religion, art of living and Science of Yoga -Uniting with God Supreme.
“Satya, ahimsa chori na karvi,
van jotu nav sangarvu
Brahamacharya ne jate mahenat,
koi ade na abhadavu;
Abhaya, swadeshi, swartha tyaga ne
sarva dharma sarkha ganava;
aa agiyar maha vrata samaji
dhradhapane nitya acharva” –
1. Pursuit of Truth. SATYA. Try to know Truth in all events. Don’t express an opinion or give judgment without knowing facts. Speak Truth means keep your promises and do not give false promises even to your children. Truth is God and God is Truth Gandhiji believed.
2. Non-violence. AHIMSA. Avoid violence as far as possible. Family conflicts, hatereds and blood sheds could be avoided by quick financial compromises. Vegetarian diet is today proved very good for health and long life. Avoid meat, alcohol, drugs and smoking. Live a purposeful, active and benevolent life. Some violence in wars will be necessary under situations like attack on land, rape on women, punish gangsters, and people damaging public property by fire and riots etc., etc.
3. Don’t steal. ASTEYA. No thefts, No cheating is word meaning. Honesty in business and work. Slogans of removal poverty, promises of prosperity, impossible promises for getting votes by the politicians are political deceits. Only hard work by all people brings prosparity in family and Land. Work is worship of God (Karma Yoga). Promises by priests of heaven after death is also cheating. Don’t cheat in name of God, religion and next births.
4. Avoid Greed of Money and Power. APARIGRAHA. Renounce Greed (Lobha). Do not accumulate wealth and property, more than necessary for family needs. If riches come, use for public projects like schools snd medical aid. Avoid exhibition of material wealth by not wearing ornaments, jewelry and decorative dresses.
5. Sex Control BRAHMACHARYA. Celibacy is important vow in all religions. No pre -& Extra-marital sex. Gandhiji advocates sex control even in married life. Social traditions and doctrines for marriage, divorce, re-marriage need periodic revisions, according to local conditions in a community and an individual’s specific family situations.
6. SELF-HELP. No Expectations of Rewards for Help given to others. No job is small, low or inferior. No retirement for men of intellect and ability. Active life till death is Karma Yoga.
7. Equality of All Beings. NO HATE. Remove untouchability, color or caste discrimination in all fields. This is particularly required in all religious Hindu temples in India. Lower classes, castes, colors and creeds is as yet a major issue in many places in India. In 1932 Gandhiji had undertaken Fast Until Death on this issue.
8. Win all Fears. ABHAY. The 8th step of Samadhi in RAJ Yoga teaches how to conquer fear of death and develop ABHAY (fearlessness). Yoga teaches how to control all kinds of worries, maintain good health, control emotions like Angers, Greed, Passions, and conquer selfish sensual desires arising in mind.
9. Patriotism. SWADESHI. This is an important political commandment of Gandhiji. Patriotic spirit is part of religion. Use goods produced in your own country. Any nation’s peace, prosperity and sound economics depend on development of this Patriotic Attitude.
10. Renounce Selfishness. SWARTHA-TYAGA. Indian saints preach renunciations of money and family life for self realization and spiritual upliftment (Atma-Kalyana)?. Gandhiji says “Spiritual evolution means mental change from selfish (Rajasik) to selfless (Satwik) attitudes and behaviors (Acharana)”. The person starts thinking in terms of humanity at large and not for self (Atma-kalyan) or only happiness of family only.
11. Tolerance of all Faiths. SARVA DHARMA SAMANVAYA. All prophets have preached equality of all humans, males and females. But Gandhiji preaches equal respect for all prophets, temples and other’s religions also. Religion means positive love, no hate, no violence. Hates, False Egos and Dislikes lead to quarrels and wars.
Gandhiji loved these ELEVEN COMMANDMENTS. They are nicely expressed in only 4 lines of above prayer. They are elaborated in a famous Gujarati Bhajan of in ‘Vaishnava Jana to tene re kahia’ of Narsinh Mehta of Gujarat (16th Cent. AD.). Gandhiji loved this Bhajan which was regularly recited in his political and public meetings.
Best Dressed boy/girl